Since 1986, The Woman’s Club of Upper Saddle River has sponsored an Essay and Poetry Contest in the Upper Saddle River Schools.
A topic is chosen and communicated to administrators, teachers and parents in January.
January is the month for writing. February is the month for judging.
Winners are notified and they, their families, and school personnel are invited to attend our March meeting to read their winning words.
The 2020 Topic for our most recent, 34nd Annual, Essay and Poetry Contest was:
Upper Saddle River celebrated its 125th Anniversary in 2019. Life in town is very different today than it was in 1894 when it was a farming town with very few residents and houses. How fabulous would it have been if the kids back then had left a Time Capsule for us to open?
A Time Capsule is a box containing important things from one time period that is left (or buried) to be opened in the distant future.
What would you put in a time capsule that would represent life in Upper Saddle River today? Why would you choose it? What would it tell someone 125 years from now about our time period?
Winners read their entries and were awarded their prizes on March 5, 2020 at the Mayor And Council Meeting at Borough hall.
Congratulations to all!
• You may enter an essay, a poem—or both!
• Entry may be typed or hand-written, but it must be neat and legible.
Entries to be submitted as follows;
Rules Specific to Reynolds School Students in grades 1 and 2:
- We welcome age appropriate entries that can include a drawing with a few sentences addressing the points above.
- Your entry may be typed or hand-written, and done on any kind of paper including primary lined paper with space for an illustration above the writing. It must be neat and legible.
Rules specific to Bogert and Cavallini School Students:
- If you are in grades 3 through 8, you may enter an essay, a poem—or both!
- Your entry may be typed or hand-written, but it must be neat and legible.
For All Entries:
Your entry must have a separate title page. This title page must include:
- your name, the title of your entry, your home address, your phone number, and a parent’s name and email
- your school, your grade, and your teacher’s name
- This page is the only page that should contain your name, and it should be attached to the front of your entry.
- Write your title again on the first page of the text of your entry, but do not put your name on any pages of the text of your entry. The title page and the text will be numbered and then separated to ensure impartial judging. The judges will only see names after winners have been selected on the merits of their writing
- There will be separate judging for poems and essays. If you do enter both contests, please be sure to put a separate title page on each entry.
- Proofread your entry and submit it.
Entries will be judged in sections. Grades 1 and 2 will be judged together, as will grades 3 and 4, grades 5 and 6, and grades 7 and 8.
Mail your entry to: Woman’s Club of Upper Saddle River Poetry and Essay Contest P.O. Box 645 Saddle River, NJ 07458
Entries must be postmarked by Friday, January 31, 2020
**Late Entries will not be considered**