Since 1986, The Woman’s Club of Upper Saddle River has sponsored an Essay and Poetry Contest in the Upper Saddle River Schools.
A topic is chosen and communicated to administrators, teachers and parents in January.
January is the month for writing. February is the month for judging.
Winners are notified and they, their families, and school personnel are invited to attend our March meeting to read their winning words.
Stay tuned for the reveal of our 2019 Topic in January!
The 2018 Topic for our 32nd Annual Essay and Poetry Contest was:
There are heroes all around us – in the news as well as our everyday lives. Google defines a hero as “a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.”
Tell us about a hero in your life. Who is it? Why do you think he or she is a hero? What traits make this person a hero? Describe the heroic actions that you observed that inspired you.
Do you think that this hero has made you want to develop these traits in yourself? How would you do that?
• You may enter an essay, a poem—or both!
• Entry may be typed or hand-written, but it must be neat and legible.
• Entries to be submitted as follows
- Title Page to be attached to the front of your Essay or Poem to include:
- Student name, address and phone number (This page is the only page that should contain your name)
- Parent name and e-mail address
- Student School, Grade and Teachers Name
- Title of your Essay or Poem
Do not put your name on any pages of the text of your Essay or Poem. The Title Page and the Essay or Poem will be numbered and then separated to ensure impartial judging. The judges will only see names after winners have been selected on the merits of their writing.
• Mail your entry to: Woman’s Club of Upper Saddle River Poetry and Essay Contest P.O. Box 645 Saddle River, NJ 07458
Entries must be postmarked by Friday, February 9, 2018
**Late Entries will not be considered**